Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Cty file corrupted during compacting

I'm afraid that all is lost, and I'm a bit upset.  CityDesk crashed while I was compacting my cty file.  I got the Blue Screen of Death, and I couldn't even recover from that.  I had to hit the "reset" button on my Windows 98 PC.

Now when I try to start CityDesk, I get the following error message:  "Unrecognized database format", followed by the name of my cty file.  The file itself is only 16 KB (it used to be over a megabyte, I think).

Any hope of recovering from this?  I have a back-up, but it's from about six months ago.

Thanks.

Alex Chernavsky
Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Alex

Check the date/time of any files with a *.bak extension in the sama folder. These are the back-up files that (IIRC) CityDesk makes each time you open a project file. The latest one *should* be the date/time you opened the file that is corrupt - without the editing you did while you had it open of course.

GL

Perpetual Newbie II

Crap, spelling ...
In the SAME folder ...

When you find it change the extension to .cty and restart CD.

Perpetual Newbie II

Hmmm, seems I was wrong. It would *appear* that the *.bak files are made when CD2 converts a CD1 file - sorry.

I normally add to zip after each editing session.

From the help file:
To avoid accidental data loss, you should make frequent backups of your site. CityDesk has a built-in automatic feature to do this, but you have to turn it on or it can't help you!

Maybe you had it switched on - have a look.

See: Lesson 9 - Making Backups of Your Site in the tutorial.

Odd, the option is to make back-ups when closing. Closing what's the logic in that? Should be: Make back-ups when opening *before* I bugger things up. Hmmm.

GL

Perpetual Newbie II

No, no back-up files -- except for one from July, 2003.  That one was probably created when I upgraded to 2.0.

Seems to me that back-up creation should be turned on by default.  Until now, I guess I assumed that it was.

Alex Chernavsky

Bummer Alex, (as you can probably tell from the blatherings above) I was under exactly the same impression - to the point of being *sure* that back-ups where created whenever you opened a file.  I've been there before (hmmm, with CD too as it turns out) SUX big time.

Perpetual Newbie II
Thursday, January 15, 2004

Alex,

There may be hope. I've had a look around - I was sure there were some freeware tools for fixing corrupt mdb files somewhere - I know there was a method. I'm getting the impression that you *may* be able to recover from the problem by compacting it using Access.

Found these:
[1] Back up the corrupt file FIRST.

http://www.eagle2000.com/support/databasecorruption.asp

http://www.pheaven.com/zone16/cat733/index.htm

If you don't have the JET compact utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q273956

Good Luck

Perpetual Newbie II

<sigh> Last post I promise!

> If you don't have the JET compact utility:

I went to this site and (actually) read the info there. This would be the way I'd go.

Perpetual Newbie II

You want the site to make a backup as you close, that way you have all of your new work saved. I let mine keep 10 copies. If it breaks before you even use it one time, I don't think I would use CD again.
Also you can make a backup manually before you compact, it is the menu item right next to compact.

Ron Lane

I wrote a little program a while ago that, when run, backups up all my cty files then runs CD. Later, if any one is interested, I'll post it on my site.

John

john cesta
Saturday, January 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home