Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Recover Deleted Folder

I deleted a folder (which, of course, had files in it) and now would like to recover the folder. I have not compacted the site. Is there a way to recover the folder by opening the .cty file in Access?

George Illes
Tuesday, January 13, 2004

I sure hope so. I don't have Access so I couldn't tell you.

I've made these mistakes a few of times and luckily I had published the articles, so I was able to get the content back off the web with copies and imports, depending on the page. Makes me better on backups and now I do the auto-backups. If I do something significant to a site, I usually copy it first, then work on the copy.

Deleting a folder with a lot of images would send me into deep depression though.

tk

be sure you don't compact the site.  Then, open up with access.  If you go check the knowledgebase on CD I think there is some information on how things are stored in CD.  As I recall, deleted stuff is just flagged.  When you compact the site, those flagged items get removed.

Good luck

joel goldstick

If you have CityDesk Backups turned on, it might be easier to just grab the previous version of your site. Depends how many changes you've made, though.

Darren Collins

Thanks for all the advice.

Unfortunately, I didn't have Backups activated, though this experience has corrected that.

I was hoping there was a way to do it in Access, and am delighted to hear there may be.

Joel, is the knowledgebase you're referring to essentially CD Help on my computer, or the knowledgebase on Fogcreek's website?

Thanks again for your help.

George Illes

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/kb/info/FileFormat.html

joel goldstick

Note to FogCreek:  Maybe you should have backup turned on initially?  I can't imagine that upsetting any new user.

joel goldstick

Joel, thanks for the link. And your suggestion is right on the money.

George Illes
Wednesday, January 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home