Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Why font tags?

Why does CityDesk force the user to use font tags? I'm an avid supporter of separating content from design, and thus like to use H1, H2, H3 etc. instead of different sizes of fonts. As I see it, there's currently no way to do this in the CityDesk WYSIWYG editor.

Yes, I understand that the UI is meant to be dead simple, but it could be done with a single dropdown combobox in the toolbar, where you could select a style for the currently highlighted piece of text. Anyone who's ever used Word will understand that.

Timo Virkkala
Sunday, January 11, 2004

Yep, it could be done that way, and enough people have asked for it that I reckon Fog Creek will add that feature to a future version.

But CD 2.0 doesn't have it.

Darren Collins
Sunday, January 11, 2004

I find style sheets and class attributes in the templates are a much better way to ensure a consistant look. The user never needs to remember whether H3 is bold Helvetica or italic Roman.

John Osborne
Sunday, January 11, 2004

Another way is to create two variables:

H2open, which contains "<h2>"
H2close, which contains "</h2>"

Then you don't have to switch to HTML view to insert them. Of course the downside is that the WYSIWYG Normal view doesn't display the text as a heading, but if you can live with that...

David Watts
Monday, January 12, 2004

Nah, I'm comfortable enough in HTML (I've done most of my previous sites with Notepad) that I'll rather work in HTML view than use variable tricks like that.  It would have been nice to do it like in a word processor though.

Timo Virkkala
Monday, January 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home