Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Keyword Picker for CityDesk

I wrote a utility for managing my CityDesk keywords (couldn't keep them all in my head).

Check it out -- it's free.

http://www.greenwave-solutions.com/KeywordPickerforCityDesk.html

Lou Franco
Friday, January 09, 2004

KeyWords are going to popular over the next few weeks - I'm just about to release the lite (??) version of a project that started out as a HTML KeyWords parser and grew, and grew ...
It also deals with HTML-Help so it's not duplication of effort :)

What delimiter does your program use Lou:  " " or "," ??

Perpetual Newbie II
Friday, January 09, 2004

The delimiter is a space

If you enclose each keyword with parens as described in the CityDesk help, the delim shouldn't matter.

Lou Franco
Friday, January 09, 2004

> The delimiter is a space

Great.

> If you enclose each keyword with parens
> as described in the CityDesk help,

Hmmm, metatag keywords require either a space or a comma - at least back when they had some significant effect on search engines.

> the delim shouldn't matter.

Until you go and try and parse them :)

Gotta try your program.
Thanx

Perpetual Newbie II
Friday, January 09, 2004

oh, I don't use keywords for meta-tags -- just for organizing with keywordContains scripts.

I guess you could always add a comma after each keyword if you wanted a comma delim.

I do my keywords pretty much as described in the Using Keywords Effectively help page in CD.

Lou Franco
Friday, January 09, 2004

> oh, I don't use keywords for meta-tags -- just
> for organizing with keywordContains scripts.

Doh! Sorry about that. Using them for a single purpose all the time I start thinking that's their only purpose.

> I guess you could always add a comma after
> each keyword if you wanted a comma delim.

Indeed, that's how it'll be, strictly words - space or comma, if you want to include a phrase - a comma between all words or phrases in that doc.

Tried your program, nice, thanx.

Perpetual Newbie II
Saturday, January 10, 2004

It would be great if you could save and load Keyword sets.  This would be especially helpful if a person had to maintain multiple sites.  Otherwise, the word for each site are mixed together.....

I suppose I could have multiple instances of the program around, one for each site?  But then I would have to remember to load the right one...

Handy little utility though...thanks!

Jeff Kolker
Monday, January 12, 2004

Unfortunately, multiple instances won't work--because I am storing everything in a specific static place. 

I am already planning that feature, but it might be a little while.

Lou Franco
Monday, January 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home