Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How is filed diff fr publish

I'm confused about the difference between filed and publish dates--or whether there even is one.

I want to use filed dates to manage entries in a weblog.

From my reading of the docs, however, the substitution of filed for publish in conditions in a forEach loop does not seem to be permitted.

But then the publish date seems to be a rather shifty concept, if I'm reading the notes on Locations and Publish for... correctly.

Am I making too much of this?

Regards,

Mark Alger
Saturday, January 03, 2004

There are four kinds of dates.

Filed date -- when the article was created. You can modify this yourself.
Modified date -- updated to "now" everytime you click save on an article. You can't modify this yourself.
Publish date -- under normal circumstances, the date you pressed the PUBLISH button. However, the publish dialog lets you publish for any other date which will affect this value. You may have set up a site such that certain articles stop appearing after a certain date, for example (using "Never Publish Before/After"). The publish dialog allows you to publish a copy of your site as it would appear if the date were something different. Esoteric? Yes. Useless? Maybe. Entertaining? Always! (Seriously, though... this is not useful for a weblog, but suppose you were managing a corporate policy web site. When policies change, instead of just editing the article in question, you set it to expire and create a new article which starts appearing when the new policy goes into effect. This feature allows you to go back in time and see what the policy was at the time that the alleged crime was committed)
Today -- Like "publish date" but always now, never modified.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, January 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home