Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

hmm I feel like a MS product user...

ok here is some great error output...

"Syntax Error: unexpected ")" (\main:2345)
Syntax Error: unexpected ")" (\Services\Key Benefits of using an Interim Manager.:2345)
Syntax Error: unexpected ")" (\Services\Past Assignments:2345)
Syntax Error: unexpected ")" (\Services\index:2345)
An error occurred while publishing, so the site was not uploaded."

now fortunately I know where this error is.. but if I had been interrupted, or worse if I was using a template coded by someone else in the team.. I'd be stumped..

Useless error messages belong in MS products guys!

bret watson
Thursday, January 01, 2004

Useless?

They point you to the right article doesnt it?
and that there is a ) that the app didnt expect?

So useless is not the word you are looking for.
I find them useful.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Friday, January 02, 2004

Sorry.. the problem is not in the articles.. its in the template for them.. and certainly not n "line 2345" there isn't so many lines in the template - or the article!

so I stay by my original statement.. useless error messages!

bret watson
Friday, January 02, 2004

Although I don't know for certain what the 2345 is referring to, I think it would be an error code and not a line number. Also the error could be in a template or an article, it depends on where the CityScript is located that is causing the error. You have four different CityScript entries that have the wrong parenthesis syntax. That is a common error when building scripts.

Ron Lane
Friday, January 02, 2004

I believe it is the 2345th byte in the merged template + article file.

There have been some hints that some day this info might be used so that CityDesk could open the file for us and point to the error.

tk
Friday, January 02, 2004

This is at the point where CityDesk is "compiling" the CityDesk Script.  Most programming languages I have used have "useless" error messages, in that they don't tell you exactly what is wrong, but they do point the way to the problem.  CityDesk is no different.

David Burch
Monday, January 05, 2004

It is actually the number of bytes from the beginning where the problem is.

I realize it's almost useless. If you have a good text editor like TextPad you can "goto character" and find the problem.

The original goal was that the publish dialog would then take you there, but we ran out of time so that feature was delayed.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, January 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home