Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Forced <p> tags in extra fields

Hi All,
playing with CD as a way to avoid running phpwebsite...

I've found several "wierdnesses" in the UI - but then I'm a homesite user, so getting frustrated over not being able to get to the abstract layers is well covered in Joel's recent article on libraries :)

What I've found is this.. I'm using extra2 as a field to drop "related topics" into - but when I hit enter I get an implict, not editable <p> tag inserted.. this sucks badly since I want a <br> tag instead.

Perhaps the best way is to allow html editing on the extra fields? at least at designer view?

Thanks

Bret

bret watson
Thursday, January 01, 2004

Others have noticed this problem too.  You can edit in article window, then cut and paste to extra field.  I think that will get around the problem

joel goldstick

shift-enter or ctrl-enter.. i forget which.. should give you a <br/> ... i should check that.. but I think thats how the dhtmleditor works.

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)

it was shift-enter.. thanks.. another niggling problem solved :)

Cheers,

Bret

bret watson

The rule for all the extras fields (and even the Body field) is that if there's no Carriage Return, the content won't have <p> tags around it, but if there's at least one Carriage Return, each paragraph will have <p> tags around it.

It's a bit annoying when you're using the fields for content that might be one or more paragraphs, as it can stuff up the formatting of your templates. I've particularly had this problem when using CityDesk to maintain a blog-like page, where each article is one entry. The only workaround is to make sure each entry contains at least two paragraphs.

Darren Collins
Saturday, January 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home