Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Ftp error on publish

I'm getting errors from my hosting service because citydesk 2.0 is trying to create folders that already exist. The consequence of this is nothing *within* those folders gets updated, and I can't publish my site.

Right now the solution is every time I want to publish, go into my hosting service and manually delete the site. This is impractical.

Does anyone have any other solutions?

Elizabeth Grigg
Tuesday, December 30, 2003

What's your hosting service?

Ftp into your hosting service and do type 'ls'.
Look for a directory that already exists.
Type 'mkdir <dirname>'
Now type 'ls' again.  Were you disconnected when you tried to do 'mkdir <dir that already exists>'?  If so, you may want to ask your hosting provider why they are disconnecting you after that command.

Michael H. Pryor (Fog Creek Software)

Thanks for writing. I'm a little out of my element, but I'm using the windows ftp client "ftp.exe" to test out your idea.
I navigated to the www folder and typed ls. The folder "Articles" already exists. When I type mkdir Articles and hit enter it responds by saying "550 Can't create directory: file exists" and then returns me to the command prompt.

I'm unsure how I can get one error from within ftp.exe, yet citydesk reports a different error (connection). I am in touch with tech support at my hosting service (Hosting Matters) who tells me that I'm getting errors because the directories I'm trying to create already exist.

Of course I'm less interested in correcting the error reporting mechanism in citydesk and more interested in getting this to work.

Let me know if you have anything else I should try.

-EG

Elizabeth Grigg

Its ok that you get an error when the directory exists...  My question is, does your ftp server kick you off after you get that error, or is the connection still open.  CityDesk doesn't care if you get a directory already exists error, but from what you are saying it sounds like your ftp server then closes the connection, so CityDesk can't upload the files.

It just does a directory create as a precaution so that if it doesn't exist, it gets created.

When using ftp.exe, after getting the directory already exists error, I do not get disconnected. It returns me to the command prompt and I am able to do more things without doing another "open."

Is that the info you need?

Elizabeth Grigg

Yes, thats the information I needed.  So apparently the publishing is working correctly and you are not getting disconnected. 

You should try the following:
1. Completely delete all folders on your hosting site.
2. Publish citydesk.
3. Change an article in citydesk.
4. Republish.

And take careful notes about what happens.

Main lesson learned: don't publish to your www folder, use a subfolder. What I think happened was at one point in that location I had a citydesk 1.0 site posted, which created an empty Images folder. When I upgraded to 2.0 it wouldn't let me create an additional Images folder in that same location. Normally this would overwrite, but I bet something in citydesk knew they weren't equivalent. That's just a guess.

Anyway if it breaks again I'll reopen this thread.

If you're into testing you could see if others have this scenario and if it repros. Not sure if the case covers many folks and is worth your time. Thanks for the help.

Elizabeth Grigg

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home