Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

'Enter' key don't work in editing text or HTML

Hi:

Citydesk (Starter) v2.0.19, build date 20030825A

Strange behaviour.  Whenever I am attempting to edit any text in a CityDesk Article in either 'Normal View' or 'HTML View', the 'Enter' key on my keyborad does not produce any effect.

That is to say, if I am writing:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

and want the last part of that sentence to start on a new line, viz:

The quick brown fox jumps
over the lazy dog

CityDesk won't let me do that because it does not recognise the 'Enter' key on my (c1997) MS Natural PS2 keyboard. !!!

TAB works fine. BACKSPACE works fine, SHIFT, CAPS LOCK, INSERT, DELETE, you name it - all work fine. But the ENTER key - forget about using it in CityDesk. Weird weird weird.

CityDesk is the ONLY application this happens in - any other Windows application I have ever used (NotePad, Frontpage, Netscape, IE, Word, freeware search & replace tools - you name it) has never had any problems recognising my 'Enter' key. Ever.

This, naturally enough, is a BIG pain for text entry into CityDesk. I workaround it by creating my CityDesk text in for example NotePad and copy/pasting it into the CityDesk Article editor, so I get by.

But since it is a bug specific to CityDesk - alone amongst the literally *hundred or so* Windows apps I have installed on my Win2k Pro PC - I wonder if the CityDesk team could have a look at your program code to see if there is perhaps a bug lurking somewhere within the CityDesk codebase that may be producing this very strange - and annoying - behaviour.  It happens EVERY time I work with CityDesk, so it is not a one off.

Or perhaps a CityDesk guru could tell me what I am doing wrong - is there a secret to successful text entry in CityDesk that I am missing? Stranger things have happened.

Thanks for any help.

Steven B
Monday, December 29, 2003

This is a known bug. It seems to happen for some people more than others. It's happened to me occasionaly.  If I exit and restart citydesk it goes away.

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/redirect.asp?http://discuss.fogcreek.com/citydesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=10832&ixReplies=3

Ken McKinney
Monday, December 29, 2003

I've got the bug too.  What I've found is that if I hold down the  enter key it will give me a bunch of enters.  Then I click where I really want to type.

Mike
Sunday, January 04, 2004

i dunno what use are goign on about nut my enter key on my keyboard just don't work through mIRC and yeha i have tried a new keyboard but it still don't work :( :( :( can soem 1 help please p.s u cant just click send cause there is no sedn button:(:(:(

jeremy
Saturday, February 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home