Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Catalog on many pages with page numbers??

Do anybody have any ideas how to make Citydesk automatically create catalog (e.g. image gallery) on many pages with fixed number of thumbnails on each page and page numbers menu? Something like
  << < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> ...
P.S. Personally I think it is impossible but who knows? I may be wrong...

shpolbder
Monday, December 15, 2003

You can't do it currently with CityScript. It's a feature that I could really use.

tk

Another server side or javascript required project

joel goldstick

joel: more specifically please...

shpolbder

CityDesk is geared towards single pages, so I doubt there's much cabability to do what you want in an automated fashion.

Can you create a different directory for each page and just list all the images you want in that directory.  For example, if you generally display 10 thumbnails on a page, then create a "Catalog Page 1" directory and add 10 thumbnails to it.  Then you can create a page which loops through and displays those images as if it was a news summary page.

A bit manual, but maybe not as manual as you're thinking.

Wade Winningham

You could also use something like snagit 7.0 to create the html image pages then paste the code into CD. Not automatic but....

john cesta

As others have pointed out, CityDesk won't do this on its own. It is typically treated as a server-side task. But I suspect a typical CityDesk user is interested in software which avoids server-side database and scripting work.

So is there software which does for database catalogues etc the same thing which CityDesk does for Web content?

Yes. There are several solutions, but the best answer I have found is at DBtoHTML Express ($US99) at:
http://www.xlinesoft.com/

DBtoHTML Express relies on templates and a database (Access will do) to create catalogue-style pages and indexes. It has a GUI, but also runs from the command line. And it works off simple HTML templates.

So you can create the templates using CityDesk and then do post-processing to create the catalogue pages. The program has a couple of quirks but on the whole it works as advertised. (Frankly, the examples on Xlinesoft's site don't do it justice.)

If you want to get fancy, you can even create index pages for various types of catalogue items in Citydesk and import DBtoHTML-created HTML fragments into them using a search-and-replace tool like BK ReplaceEM from:
http://www.orbit.org/replace/

BK ReplaceEm also runs from the command line. So if you create a simple batch file with scheduling to run the whole system, you can create a desktop system that mimics a fairly sophisticated online database and updates every x hours.

If you don't want the hassle and sensitivity of maintaining your online database-and-scripting solution 24/7, this is a surprisingly powerful alternative.

I've just built one of these systems as a stop-gap until my business gets a Java-and-Oracle solution going. The stopgap is effective enough that we can deprioritise the Java-and-Oracle solution and the IT team can work on other projects earlier. Send me a message if you need any more details.

David Walker

David, what's going on with your ShoreWalker site? I used to love reading your articles, but then one day they just stopped.

Not that I can talk - my own sites have plenty of cobwebs hanging around too. :-)

Darren Collins

Renovation, partner studying, three kids, work, tired of shortcomings of existing homegrown CMS ... Shorewalker.com will revive soon as a CityDesk site.

David Walker
Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Haha, that's even closer to my own reasons than I thought! Wife starting a new business, renovations, two children under two...

Do let us know here when your new site is available - it's a great read.

Darren Collins
Wednesday, December 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home