Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

<PRE> tag

http://www.marktaw.com/temp/html_view.gif

http://www.marktaw.com/temp/normal_view.gif

I guess CityDesk doesn't recognize the Pre tag?

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, December 05, 2003

Hi Mark
Do you encrypt your html?

Jorgen Brenting
Friday, December 05, 2003

Nope, I was just publishing my public key so people could e-mail me & I could sign things.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, December 06, 2003

The pre-tag works fine in V1 as can be seen here http://www.dinoland.dk/Artikler/langdeoghojde.html
In my opinion CD2 created more problems that it solved, so I never converted and the more I read from this forum the more I'm convinced that having includes and a poor image editor isn't worth all the troubles you get in CD2. I'll wait around for CD3.x and hope for the best.

Jorgen Brenting
Saturday, December 06, 2003

You're right, I don't use any of the new features of CD2 either.

The PRE tags are there so any browser will render it right, but CityDesk doesn't, so you're example isn't entirely accurate.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, December 07, 2003

Hmm ... did you scroll all the way down to the pre-tags in my example?
Okay, if you are talking about CD itself rendering things right or wrong I guess it's the very old discussion about the so called normal view versus html-view.
How I miss some Fog Creek voices in this forum. I think they are making a major PR mistake here – Joel criticising people high and low on his own site and neglecting to look after his own customers here. But who am I to tell other people what to do? I'll leave that to you-know-who. But I could give a friendly advise ...

Jorgen Brenting

Yep, I'm talking about how CityDesk itself renders the PRE tags in my document in Normal View. It seems to remove them altogether, so yeah it's the "old discussion about normal view vs. html view."

There was a post about CityDesk 3 in JoS, which means the beta can't be far behind.

www.MarkTAW.com

I have a feeling it'll be great.

Jorgen Brenting

I use <pre> tags in my sites. CityDesk (2.0) doesn't remove them or anything when I switch views from Normal to HTML and back, but the CityDesk article editor doesn't render them terribly well.

It's all OK when published, though.

Darren Collins

Agree that version 2 created more problems than it solved.

me
Monday, December 08, 2003

Just to balance the viewpoints of others here - CD2.0 was a huge benefit to me, providing lots of handy features. It hasn't caused me any new problems.

Darren Collins
Monday, December 08, 2003

I agree that new features were added which I have taken advantage of, but:

1) None of the features were must have for me, though I admit the ability to change label names makes it easier to train customers to use fields.  I would not have paid to upgrade for any of the new features.

2) New features were added instead of the numerous improvements to the UI which were suggested in this forum.  I find it odd to find UI inconsistencies in a product from a UI expert.  Copy and paste are not available in the right-click context menu for some fields but not others, even though the commands are available from the pull-down menu.

3) The editor is still as buggy as version 1.0.  I consider version 1.0 to be more stable than 2.0--more stable in knowing that all the text I type in will not disappear.  Try telling a novice customer, who just wants to concentrate on content, the technical reason why you recommended a product which blew away their content.

4) The scripting is still inadequate for all but the most basic needs.

5) Basic stuff like headings and tables is still absent!

David Burch
Tuesday, December 09, 2003

We'll find out for sure soon enough, but I speculate that the reason they didn't make too many changes to the article editor was because they were planning to go with a new HTML editing component for CD 3.0. Either that, or they were planning a major overhaul. The problems with HTML editing are more fundamental than just fixing a few 'bugs'.

I think the same will be true of CityScript. I reckon they'll replace it with a proper language either in CD 3.0 or (depending how much other stuff is going into CD 3.0) CD 4.0. That will be really sweet.

Then again, I could be way off base here :-). Hopefully we'll find out soon!

Darren Collins
Tuesday, December 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home