Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk hangs during preview

Hi all,

got a CD file with about 1500 articles, and CD professional v2.0.19.

The problem is that the preview/ publish no longer works (it did prior to my user adding contents, when I only had a few articles for testing).

Now the preview starts zipping through the first 50 or so articles, and suddenly hangs.  The "Stop" button won't work (the little preview window goes into "not responding"), however I can close CD through the taskbar.

There seems nothing conspicious (e.g. complexity, lenght) about the offending article.  If I mark that article as not to be published, a renewed preview will process a few more articles, but hang again soon after.

I found this problem reported here http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=10251&ixReplies=2 however I'm not sure about how to remedy.

Anyone else experienced this problem?  Any thoughts?

Vic
Wednesday, December 03, 2003

I have some very long publishes and CityDesk appears to freeze during some parts of the pre-FTP grind. The one I did this morning took 2 minutes 20 seconds pre-FTP. That's just with 425 articles and a few too many scripts.

When CityDesk really crashes on me, only Ctrl-Alt-Del can shut it down.

tk

Tk, thanks, but my CD, after zooming through a bunch of articles to begin with, just sits there for an hour without any sign of life (except using up most of the CPU) :-(

Vic

Vc :re just sits there for an hour without

I would suggest doing 2 things;

1 .. in CD do "File" then "Compact" site

and if that does not help [or the system hangs] try this a number of times.

2 .. Defrag your hard drive. If you're running Windows 2000/XP the built-in defrag utility is not great but does work. The Defrag utility to get is Diskeeper v8.0 from executive software.

If 1 or 2 do not solve your problem ... them more investigation needs to be done.

My experience is that CD gets bloated if you add/delete many files and that blot can cause many issues.

David Mozer

An hour - ack!!!

tk

Thanks everyone.

I've defragged and compacted, and doctored a little with a few articles, and now the process runs through (not sure how that was a function of my doctoring). 

It takes roughly 2 hours on my 2.5GHz/ 512 MB PC to complete publishing (ex-FTP), and it still looks as if the process was hanging several times, i.e., no progress to the following article for 20 minutes - eventually CD moves on, though (and then very fast).  My user's PC is slower so at this point it seems likely that it will have to run overnight... 

I can't think of anything special I do that may slow it down (I've removed the mass spaces when I noticed CD to be sensitive on this), with the exception of me using a large number of links:

For fast navigation, every article appears together with a link list to the left that shows links to (1) all article categories (2) all articles within the same category as the currently viewed article.

In addition, the articles themselves are quite link-heavy.

So in total there may be between 50 and 100 links displayed for each article.

Could this be the reason for the slowdown?

Um, just as well I'm not looking after a fast-moving news site ;-)

Vic
Thursday, December 04, 2003

Vic :re 2 hours

There are a number of other things that can cause problem -- how much free disk space you've got and the type of disk formatting you’re using.

If you're a Windows 98 user and your disk is formatted as Fat32 ... as the disk fills up thinks will slow down dramatically especially if not much space is left.

If you're a NT/2000/XP user and your disk is formatted as FAT same problem as above. NTFS formatting is *vastly* superior and solves a lot of problems -- however if your disk if filling up then regardless of which formatting system used "things" will slow down especially "big" processes.

Its always best to have “at the very least least” 40% of your hard disk space available for R/W operations and under NT/2000/XP NTFS will at all time give you the best performance especially if you defrag the disk under Diskeeper’s set and forget process.

David Mozer
Thursday, December 04, 2003

David,

appreciate the feedback.

I run XP and my partitions are NTFS-formatted, and also have ample space (50%).

Also, my user experiences the same issue (albeit under Windows 2000 and a slower CPU).

Hence, I really think the slowness is pertaining to either CD, or specifics of my site.

I find it interesting in particular that the process whizzes through most articles, yet hangs on a few. Is it possible that CD periodically invokes some sort of cleanup routine?

Vic
Friday, December 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home