Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Joel mentions CityDesk in new JOS article

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Craftsmanship.html

"I'd like to tell you about at a piece of code I've been rewriting for CityDesk 3.0: the file import code ... "

tk
Tuesday, December 02, 2003

I don't think they're going to make the end of the year release deadline...

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Either that or they've got a release build and now they're just playing. Or maybe everything is already done and he's just describing one of the many things they've accomplished.

Ron Porter

The problem mentioned: CityDesk going "dead" during lengthy operations also occurs during long publishes. During parts of the pre-FTP process, you can't see the main window or the publish window.

My experience with big imports in CityDesk 1 was that really big imports would crash CityDesk. Upon starting CityDesk again I found that the import had indeed worked properly but CityDesk died in the process. I haven't done a big one in CityDesk 2.

tk

I sure hope to see V3 this year. It's one of the very few specific promises the Fog folks have made about future releases.

If Fog is true to form, we'll probably only get a couple of days notice before the start of beta testing.

In any case I am most curious about the new features and about the upgrade's price. I doubt it's free but I enjoy some surprises.

tk

It would be nice if we didn't have to store those big files in CityDesk, just embed a link to an external file which gets uploaded with the rest of the site.

Tony Edgecombe
Friday, December 05, 2003

Instead of fixing problems people rarely experience, how about going through the bug reports and feature requests since version 1 and actually fixing bugs, UI inconsistencies and general wierdness?  A whole lot of "eating your own dog food" appears in order.

me again
Saturday, December 13, 2003

This particular  issue - imports that aren't much fun - is a problem for me and probably many others. I'd guess that barriers to imports are barriers to folks who might buy CityDesk.

tk
Saturday, December 13, 2003

'me again' - eating your own dogfood means actually using the tools you develop. Fog Creek and Joel already do this.

Darren Collins
Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Hi!

The only time we don't fix existing bugs before writing new code is when we expect that the new code will completely replace the old code which has the bugs in it :) For example the main window treeView is getting completely replaced with a spiffy combination treeView/ListView (like Windows Explorer with folders on the left) which will be faster, neater, and easier than the existing treeview, but it will also allow multiselect, etc. So many of the existing Little Bugs in the existing treeView just don't need to be fixed.

I'm trying to keep my mouth shut in the future about release dates. The ONE TIME in the entire history of Fog Creek that I specified an actual date for an upcoming product, I had to break my promise. :( It's out of our control, yadda yadda, the cat ate my homework, etc.

Joel

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, December 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home