Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Request: Structured Content

As far as I can tell, the current wysiwyg editor makes it hard to  input content in a *structured* fashion - I would like to be able to add content in terms of headings and sub-headings (H1-H5 etc. + CSS) instead of using font sizes, which are messy (and deprecated).

Edlucas
Monday, December 01, 2003

Amen to that.

geraldH
Monday, December 01, 2003

Don't forget the properties and extras tabs, these let you input content structured in any fashion you'd like (with css), and they keep it consistent. The article tab is just one component of the structured page. When you get your templates configured, all of these can (and should) be filled with plain text.

Ron Lane
Tuesday, December 02, 2003

True, you can add more structure to the content by breaking it up into fields; however, there are not enough fields for every use.  Also, good separation of content from presentation needs to be made available within the article itself.

David Burch

The failure to support H1, H2, etc. has always puzzled me. Weird that it wasn't part of version 2, since we've got things like numbered and bulleted lists, blockquotes, and colored text. Heading tags are the basic building blocks of well-organized content, and are given priority in the analysis of some search engines.

CityDesk is a great product, but there's really no excuse for forcing users into HTML view to add a proper heading to a document.

M. C. Matti

Ron, I disagree that the article tab (i.e. the Body field) should be filled with plain text.

I often write articles that contain code snippets, quotes and tables, and I break articles down into sections using h2 and h3 tags. There's no way to do this stuff properly with plain text.

Some type of structural markup is needed for all but the most rudimentary articles.

Darren Collins

I'd be happy with two pretty minor changes :

1. The ability to right-click to edit an article body with an external editor (such as HTMLkit, Stone's Webwriter, or Winsyntax). It's totally crazy that you can do this for everything except articles.

2. The ability to disable normal view individually for each article.

Michael Wild
Wednesday, December 03, 2003

I second Michael's request to turn off nomal view on a page-by-page basis, as well as the request for h1-h4 tags.

One further step to structured content would be to allow span tags with user-defined classes. This could work exactly the way the current "font" tags do. (Actually, you can use font tags now, map then to spans and use BK ReplaceEm to CD-post-process the files and produce this effect - but it's a huge hack). A CityDesk file table that stored names of classes and user-visible titles that represented their purpose (e.g. "Book title", "Fine print") would be in the spirit of CityDesk.

For a system that already does this, see fckeditor at www.fredck.com/FCKeditor/

David Walker
Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

H1-h4's on the edit bar _and_ using an external editor for articles (no-brainers?).

R. C.
Friday, December 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home