Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CD 2 uploads all files even w/o changes

Is anyone else seeing this? Citydesk 2.0.19 seems to be uploading all files in my site every time I make a minor change to a single article and then publish. It should only upload one page but that doesn't appear to be the case at all.

I've checked the knowledge base and found references to this happening with an older version or on the first time after you upgrade (but I've been running CD 2 since launch and done *loads* of updates), oh and this only recently started being a problem in this last week.

Any ideas?

Robert Moir
Friday, November 28, 2003

If you have something like a site revision date / time on every page, that could cause every page to republish with every update.

I just moved a .cty file from my C to my D drive, that caused a complete republish. I presume that will help the "Edit with IE button find the site.

tk
Friday, November 28, 2003

I do have an updated date, but looking at a few pages on my site, it seems to show the correct date for when the article was last edited, so I don't know if that would be the cause.

Robert Moir
Saturday, November 29, 2003

Have you recently changed anything in your main menu? Maybe to show your newest article, because every page that contains your main menu would have to be published each time.

Ron Lane
Saturday, November 29, 2003

Don't know if this will help...I recently discovered that within an article clicking the Save and Publish button does just that:  CD publishes just that single article.

George Illes
Sunday, November 30, 2003

If you're using two different computers, CityDesk will upload everything unless your last publish was from the same computer.

Darren Collins
Sunday, November 30, 2003

Actually, if you publish the same site from citydesk from two different machines that are in the same location (eg. 'c:\my site') then it won't republish the entire site, it's only if the location is different that things go awry.

John C
Monday, December 01, 2003

Wouldn't that be only if the two different machines both were publishing the same cty file, like from a network connection?

If it were two independent machines and an update was made on one and not the other, and then another update made on the second machine then it would have to republish the entire site because the xml file would be out of sync.

So if you were flip-flopping between machines, it would constantly have to republish the entire site, unless you applied the exact same updates to each machine.

Ron Lane

You're right, John. I neglected to mention that you can put the .cty file in the same path on both machines to avoid this.

Ron, I'm talking about both machines working from the same .cty file - i.e. sharing it on a network, or moving the file between machines on a zip disk or something. I'm not talking about having two separate copies of the file, where both get modified independently of the other.

No matter how you share the .cty file between machines, if you load it from a different path on the two machines (e.g. one machine has the network share mapped to F drive and the other has it mapped to X drive) it will cause the entire site to be uploaded on a publish.

It's because each published page has a tag that CityDesk encodes with the location of the .cty file, so that you can use "Edit With CityDesk" from your browser to call up the article and make changes.

Darren Collins

I'm running into the same "CD2 publishes everything" issue with a network drive. It's always the same drive letter, but the drive is actually a Samba directory share which gets connected only when need be.

Apparently, CityDesk has trouble accepting this as a location it has already published to.

geraldH
Thursday, December 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home