Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Updating other file types (e.g. PDFs)

I'm sure I've got this right ... testing this afternoon ... has anyone else experienced the same? Is there an easier way? (been searching but couldn't find anything)

When other files types are imported into CityDesk - it's not a problem updating them, e.g. an ASP file or a Word document.

To update my Adobe PDF files though:

I don't have Adobe editing software - I am using a plugin to MS Word - edit the document in Word, then hit "print to pdf" - and it creates a new PDF version of that file.

What I DON'T want to do is edit the word doc, print to PDF (thus create a new file), and then insert new version into CD ('cause I'll have a new magic name and have to change all link references to the old magic name to the new one). So...

(1) I open the current PDF in CityDesk (this opens Acrobat Reader), which puts a temp copy of the file into a temp folder (something like c:\temp\citydeskexternal_944) - and you can see the file called PTMF00000etc.pdf).

(2) Close Acrobat reader. The temp copy is still there.

(3) Use my software to Print to PDF - specifying the filename and location of the temp copy.

(4) Go back to CityDesk and open the PDF I want updating - CD sees the file in the temp folder and seems to know to use that when I hit publish.

Dan
Wednesday, November 26, 2003

I thought that if you imported a file into CD (same location) with the same name and type, it overwrote the old file AND kept the same magic name.  I think CD 2 does that... was I imagining that?

Jeff Kolker

It does. That's a lot easier. Thanks.

Dan

If your document is continually being updated, you could make it an absolute link, then just make your new pdf and copy it directly to the proper spot on your web server.  It would save you the extra time of having to load CD and import it.

Jeff Kolker

Yeah - sometimes I have done that.

I thought I should sit down and see what effect importing all files on the site though and maintaining a site this way.

(a couple of friends/clients forget about the case sensitive naming requirements of their web hosting, and little things like that)

PDFs and Word documents can bloat the cty file but if the file's only a few MB it doesn't matter. Until I want to get hold of someone else's file and their internet connection is good old 56K...

One drawback I find at the moment: when inserting the link - the dropdown box is rather small widthwise.

Dan
Thursday, November 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home