Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Categories?

Hello,

Is there a way that CityDesk can manage a category of articles? If you have articles on color, animals, etc. it'll generate menus based on them?

Patrick Grote
Tuesday, November 25, 2003

I've been reading through all the CD documentation looking for this very feature -- how to loop through FOLDER names, not just articles.

On a large web site, the navigation menu is usually linked to the major folders/subdirectories, not individual pages, and I would love to be able to create a dynamic menu that would automatically reflect the addition or deletion of new folders.

Carmen Carter

The way I group using categories of articles is to use keywords. So for and article about dogs I'd put '(cat:dogs)' into the keywords field and for an article about travelling I'd put '(cat:travel)' into the field.

That way you can use a foreach loop on another page to show a list of all articles in the dogs category like so:

{$ foreach x in (keyword_contains "(cat:dogs)") SortDescendBy .fileddate $}
  <a href="{$x.link$}">{$x.headline$}</a><br />
{$ next $}

Of course if you write an article about travelling dogs you can put '(cat:dogs)(cat:travel)' into the keywords field.

John C

There isn't yet a way to make "set and forget" scripts that will take care of future categories / folders / whatever. When you add "diet:hamster" you'll have to do some more scripting. It might just be copying a script and changing a keyword but you still have to do it.

At least for now. This is a much requested feature and folks have offered lots of helpful suggestions about how the Fog folks might do it.

tk

I use keywords to do create categories in 1.0 and the new folder "folder_name/*" option to do it in 2.0.

David Burch

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home