Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Keywords and search site

I've "installed" Google Search on my site several different times, but it would only ever search the home page.  So I ended up deleting it.

Am I missing something regarding keywords?  I have keywords listed for each and every article.  Am I supposed to list them in cityscript somehow?

Thanks for helping me understand.

Dianne Wandruff
Tuesday, November 18, 2003

I need to understand too. My impression is that a Google site search only indexes the pages the "big" google has indexed. That is, having a Google site search doesn't necessarily index all your pages. Over time and as your site gets more interesting to Google, Google will index more of your pages. I really don't know though. What happened to you is the same thing that happened to me when I put a Google site search on a small new site. I may be all wrong about this.

So, I personally use atomz.com. For free it will index up to 500 pages.  Freefind.com's limit is based on a byte count I think. There are some others.

Today one of my sites exceed Atomz's 500 page limit. I will have to do something but I don't know exactly what.

tk
Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Tk - you're right about how Google site search works. It can take time before your site's changes are indexed by Google, and then appear in search results.

Atomz says it reindexes weekly (on the free service with the 500 page limit).

Dan
Wednesday, November 19, 2003

With Atomz.com you can select the day of the week and time to reindex your site and if you make some big changes, you can reindex right then. I just added 70K words to a site about 6 hours after the weekly index. I just went to atomz site and and said "do it again."

tk

Can you point out where on their site I can get this?

joel goldstick

J,

http://atomz.com/search/trial_account.htm

Called the "Express Search" The sign-up has changed a little since I started. I use the Express Search for 7 sites under my one "account."

tk

Thanks for the info concerning Atomz Search.  I incorporated it into my site and it proves to be JUST WHAT I NEED. 

Dianne Wandruff

Does anyone know how much the next level above 500 pages cost at Atomz?

Ron Lane

I'm about to find out, I'll let you know.

tk

There are some templates that are posted here at Fog Creek that have a built in search feature.  The downside is your server has to have support for php and mysql.  Its free though.

I've been looking at a tool that does searches that are based solely on javascript.  Its at http://www.aerotags.com/products/ase.php and may be worthwhile.  Not sure how it would integrate with CD though.  Its not free, but those search sites will want to charge a monthly fee to allow you to do searches once your site gets over x number of pages. 

I haven't tried this search tool out yet, but will be shortly.

Jeff Kolker
Thursday, November 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home