Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

I'm trying to archive some articles

Hello,

I'd sure appreciate some help!

I write a new journal article almost every day (see my site at www.essentialimmunehealth.com) and so need to consolidate somewhat. 

I've succeeded in copying the journal index file, but what html code do I use to get all those journal articles in the new index file?  Each one is linked to the other.

Thanks for any help you might give me.

Dianne Wandruff
Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Dianne, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish by moving your files. Are you concerned about breaking your "next" article links?

tk
Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Hi,

How I do hope to make myself clear...then maybe you can help me.

Will you kindly look at the journal page of my website so you can understand my need to consolidate?  www.essentialimmunehealth.com

My webmaster suggested I archive my journal articles by the month.  I need to keep all those articles on the server, but not on my own city desk copy.  My clients would still be able to access the articles, but my site would be less bulky.

Is that a good explanation?  That's the best I can understand it.

Dianne Wandruff
Wednesday, November 19, 2003

If this is your journal page:

http://www.essentialimmunehealth.com/journals/index.html

What is the problem? Why not keep them in CityDesk? I think it's great and useful to see a list of all your entries. Keeping them in CityDesk keeps you options open for things you might do in the future. For example, you might want to add keywords to some of them so you can list under an important topic. You might not but removing then eliminates the possiblitly. Archiving by month is not a bad thing but probably not particularly helpful to a surfer.

If folks are looking for something specific in your articles ("I remember reading something about topic X."), the search is the best way to find it.

tk

I think my webmaster wants me to archive my journal articles so my site will not be unwieldy.  Would that help the slow response time I get when trying to move from normal view to html view in template?

So far, in order to clean up my site, I've reformatted each and every one of those journal articles.  Some of them had been copied with formatting intact from Word.

I still have a slow response time, but not as slow...

I, myself, like the idea of people being able to surf my site without hindrance....But do you really think they'd bother to go down through a long list of titles?

Dianne Wandruff

"Archiving" has a bunch of meanings. One meaning implies removing articles from the site and store them somewhere else. Another meaning is to publish the articles off the main page so that they are available, but not right up front. I think the 2nd meaning is what you want.

The loop on your index page should list only a certain number of articles:

{$ forEach 10x in...

The loop should also exclude the index page

...not(thisArticle)

In its place there should be a link to an article that is the full  listing of your journal entries. The loop on this page would be the loop you are using on your index page.

The full script for the index page would look something like

{$forEach 10x in (and(folder "foldername")(not(thisArticle)))$}
    <display stuff>
{$next$}

Amos
Thursday, November 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home