Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature request: foreach x in (random)

Nice to have, randomizing from articles in a particular folder.

Patrick Thomas
Thursday, December 13, 2001

correction "foreach random(n) x in (...)"

Would be nice for "Tip-of-the-day"-type of things or randomly changing intro-articles

Patrick Thomas

Oh, nice.

I'm a strong believer in the power of serendipity during web wanderings. "Select a random few of this result set" would be wonderful.

Garth Kidd

This would only randomize when you publish. So a return visit by somebody (or a refresh) won't change what they see, unless you had refreshed the site since their last visit.

John Lam
Friday, December 14, 2001

Good point leading directly, e.g., to a "publish-again at interval X" feature :-) with a CD publishing-tool running permanently in the background.

Patrick Thomas
Saturday, December 15, 2001

Well, ultimately I'd like to see CityDesk go properly client-server, with the rendering and publishing agent on the server. :)

Garth Kidd
Sunday, December 16, 2001

Ack!

Please don't do this. This basically erases what's great about CityDesk to me. I use a hosting service. I can't control the server, nor install server-side software, and many users will be in the same boat (even in a corporation, where IT guards the servers tightly).

At least if you do this, make it so that users who want to use CityDesk in the "classic" sense can do so.

Brad Wilson
Monday, December 17, 2001

Oh, absolutely. Don't get me wrong -- I use HTML-only hosting facilities for some sites, too, and I'd never advocate removing the current mode.

The best solution for the serendipity problem at the moment seems to be to generate multiple include files and have a cron job on the server point a symlink at a randomly chosen include every minute or so. It'll do. :)

Garth Kidd
Monday, December 17, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home