Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

What is this thing?

I just published some 130meg+ pictures. They are huge. When viewed in IE 6, they start displaying big, then snap to a smaller size. If I run the mouse over the lower right hand corner of the picture, a little box (with arrows in the corners) appears. Clicking on the little arrow-box thing enlarges the picture.

http://tk-jk.net/GTsoccer/Pictures/JamieHowellNov8-2003/IMG_6063.jpg

What is that thing? Can I control it? Will the average soccer parent know how to enlarge the picture if the want? (Does the keeper make the save?)

tk
Friday, November 14, 2003

Its a feature of IE6.  I'm not sure if you can turn it off.  You might want to poke around in ie6 settings

Joel Goldstick

Is each image 130mb? that is huge.  You might want to use irfanview or photoshop to scale them down -- they will load faster and still be detailed enough for most anyone at 600x400 pixels.

See my galleries at http://www.acmeartcompany.org to get an idea. 

Joel Goldstick

I think thats what you get if you adjust the display size of the picture on the webpage for other than its actual size.

Jeff Kolker

I usually optimize images to make them smaller but these were so much better than our usual pictures and the Ga Tech girls have rocket speed Internet,  so I just left them alone. Besides, my daughter #1 is in some of the pictures.

tk

tk: re image resizing

To change the behavior of this great feature do the following:

In IE6.x go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced - and under Multi-Media remove the check-mark from "Automatic Image Resizing"

I love IE 6.x -- its wonderful -- better that you name it :-)

David Mozer

tk - It makes the image fit in the Window, which is a good thing. Otherwise I'd only see the top/left 2% (just kidding).

The "workaround" is to embed each in an HTML page - there are scripts that will do slideshows for you, and make sure the height/width is set.

www.MarkTAW.com

Actually, I don't mind it particularly now that I know a little more about it. I hope other folks who see the pictures will know that it's there.

tk

It's got to be said, the defenders should be watching the attacking player rather than the ball! ;)

John C
Monday, November 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home