Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

[None] template issue

I'm doing some heavy prototyping in CD. It's the best way I've found to get sign-off from the customer and show my developer what his scripts have to produce. The final content will be dynamically generated from a mySQL database.

I use an Article for the prototype because the HTML Page doesn't have preview capability.

I put all the html into the Article. I'm not at the point in development where I want to mess with templates so I chose the [None] template.

Everything works fine EXCEPT if I go to Normal view in the Article for a quick reality check and then back to HTML view, the Head and Body tags get stripped.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an obvious solution that I'm missing?

I don't want to set up a Simple template with the Head and Body tags, because I keep changing the call to a stylesheet in the Head tags.

Amos
Thursday, November 13, 2003

The Normal view in the article is tricky.  It doesn't like invalid markup.  From what you say it doesn't like head tags either.

Better to put the head tag stuff in a template.  If you are changing your css, that's fine.  Put the link tag in the head.  Then make whatever changes to your css file and publish it.

You can make different css files.  To see what each will do, just edit the template.  Its no harder to edit a template than it is to edit an article.

Joel Goldstick

I've been playing with the firebird browser recently (Mozilla).  It has a feature where you can view and edit the css on the left sidebar.  It makes the changes to the page immediately.  This is a really great way to explore and try different css stuff.  When you get what you like, it lets you save the css.

Joel Goldstick

Yes, the article only takes BODY data, so you can't have HTML head tags in there...

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)

Amos, The article editor strips head and body tags by design. If you don't want that while you are protyping, make the pages .html files instead. Of course then you can't use them in scripts.

It's all part of compromising a little to the CityDesk method in order to take advantage it.  You might make some headway with what you are trying to do by making a template out of your HTML file, sticking {$body$} inthere somewhere and using an empty article that points to it; that will give you a quick preview anyway.

tk

Joel: How do you get to the css editor in Firebird? I'm using 0.7.

Amos

ctl-8

its under view menu I think

Joel Goldstick

why not make the call to stylesheet in the head tags a variable?  you can change the variable without using any templates.

Jon Winchester
Monday, November 17, 2003

You could put your stylesheet call into Extra1, and then set up your template so that it uses Extra1 to do the stylesheet stuff (and uses a default stylesheet if Extra1 is blank).

Darren Collins
Tuesday, November 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home