Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Converting imported HTML file to an article?

At work, I keep a home page of all of my research, findings, articles, presentations, etc.. I would like to use CityDesk to manage all of this stuff.  I've been playing with the starter version to see if it can do what I want and it seems like it can except for the import process.

The difference between an "article" and an HTML file has been frustrating since they are so close to the same thing.

Let's say I have 10 existing html files which contain pictures.  As far as I am concerned, they are "articles" which I wrote.  However, it doesn't look like I can import those files as articles. I can only import them as HTML.  Since they are imported as HTML files, they aren't indexed by the script pages.

I can understand that you can't call any arbitrary HTML file an "article".  But there doesn't seem to be any sort of "convert to article" function.  If I try to create a new article and then do a copy/paste on all of the text, it doesn't copy any of the links, information, etc..  The best I have found is to

a) Drag the html file and the associated pictures into the Site window
b) Create a new article and give it the name that I want
c) Open the original HTML file, switch to HTML view, and copy the HTML code
d) Open the new article, switch to HTML mode, and paste the HTML code.

That seems to work so far but it's error prone and somewhat frustrating.  Is there any other way to convert an imported HTML file into an article?

Joel Sumner
Thursday, December 13, 2001

I'm in the midst of converting my site at www.gamesoffame.com. Since it uses the same style for every single page, the HTML/Article thing bugs me too because I want the index to be an article. But it seems that one is under control so that's why I ponied up the bux.

Now as to the actual conversion, that's actually going really well. I just finished converting one of the "big ones", the Spacewar page. It basically consisted of:

1) do the import
2) make a new article
3) cut the text out of the middle column of the import, and paste it into the new article (this was a big tough on my page because it's in different cells)
4) delete the original imported file

Repeat this for all of the articles. Then make a new template and basically reverse the process...

1) do the import
2) make a new template
3) cut OUT all of the text from the middle column, leaving only the "outside"
4) paste that into the template
5) delete the original imported file

So far so good. I've found all sorts of minor annoyances (have you tried the spell checker yet? yuck!) but no real problems. I hope to have an experimental site with all the articles converted by the end of the week.

Maury Markowitz

That's the way I did it and I'm glad it's over with.  But, it's not really over with.  I just did a new article with a table.  So, I actually created the article in FrontPage copied the FrontPage HTML, created the CityDesk article, switched to HTML and pasted in the HTML.

Here is the article:
http://mlpa.org/plan/Committees/CrimeReports/fog0000000056.html

The article didn't have a picture, but if it did, I would have dragged the picture into CityDesk and used CityDesk to insert it (I haven't really grasped magic names yet).  Then, if I didn't like the way the picture turned out, I would have pasted the HTML back into FrontPage to fix it and pasted the resulting HTML back into CityDesk.

This sounds like more work than it really was.  I still think I'm way ahead by using CityDesk and I'm glad they didn't delay releasing it until they achieved editing perfection.

Terry Kearns

Amen. As Joel keeps saying: Shipping is a feature. I'm very glad CityDesk gave that feature a priority.

Garth Kidd

If it's too hard to pull off a "convert to article" function, it would be nice to at least be able to index the HTML files. That way my directories could still be script driven even though the content isn't in "articles".

Joel Sumner
Friday, December 14, 2001

Yep, our #1 absolute top favorite 2.0 feature is merging the concept of files and articles.

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, December 15, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home