Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

`Visible' Marks in `Article' Edit Pane

I have some templates that define and use markup elements like `sidebar'. While I have no trouble putting these markup elements directly in to the HTML, and it all shows up fine in the final display of the page, there is no visible effect in the Edit Pane (the markup colors the background, for example, and this clearly has no effect on the RTF display, I guess).

This makes it all too easy to not realize, during editing, what the markup is and which paragraphs are marked and which are not.

I guess one solution I see would be some markers which would show up in the edit pane but not show up in the final document. Are there any such?

David Ness
Thursday, December 13, 2001

I don't completely understand the question, can you provide a tiny example?

Maybe HTML comments is the answer to your question. Open them with <!-- and close them with -->

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, December 15, 2001

As you know, it's hard to put `pictures' into words. But, I'll try: I mark up some paragraphs in HTML mode. What the markup does in the final display (in this case) is it boxes the text and colors the background. It works fine. However, when I edit the text in normal mode, there is no `visible' evidence that the paragraphs are marked up any way that is different from paragraphs that contain normal text.

Your suggestion doesn't solve this problem, I think, as the HTML comments would appear neither in normal mode edit screens nor in the final text. What I need is a marker that appears in the normal mode edit screen and _not_ in the text.

Have I at least succeeded in making clear what I want?

David Ness

When you say "I mark up some paragraphs" -- what literally does that look like in HTML?

Here's a paragraph:

<p>Foo</p>

What do you do to it in HTML mode that causes it to have a shaded background and a border around it?

Joel Spolsky

Say <p class=sidebar>As Thomas Jefferson said, ...</p>

David Ness

Aha!

I understand it now.

Unfortunately in this version there's no way to persuade the article editor to show you your article with the style applied to it.

One thing you could do is inline the style. For example if you wrote

<p class="sidebar" style="background:pink">Now is the time...</p>

then it will show up with a pink background in the editor.

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home