Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

naming imported files

I've imported some files but I'm having trouble getting them recognized in scripts. No Properties tab comes up when they are open, so there is no Headline to type in. I've tried using link or filename in a loop script with no success. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Bob Bamberg
Friday, November 07, 2003

Ah, I assume you've imported web pages into CityDesk but you're wanting them to behave like 'articles' (who have headlines, etc and can be included in scripts). You have two choices:

1. Create a new article manually for each web page you wish to import and copy the body of the page into it instead of importing as a file.

2. Have a look at CopyBoy (link below) that has the ability to import files as articles. It's handy if you've got a lot of web pages to import.

http://www.larkware.com/Products/LarkwareCopyBoy20.html

John C

What we hoped the Import command would do is too good to be true. When I first saw "import," I thought I could just grab an existing site and rock. It's not like that and it's dissappointing. As you become more familiar with CityDesk, the reasons become more clear.

Often the process is to import a page into CityDesk, turn it into a template, then import or copy the content into articles that you can manipulate with scripts in incorporate into templates.

For me, it's been well worth a little planning and more or less grinding to get it done. Moving sites to CityDesk has paid off for me. Copyboy was disigned to help.

tk

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home