Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Having both CD1 and CD2 installed

I'm guessing you already covered this when CD2 was released but I missed the discussion and I can't seem to find it in the archives. Is it safe to have both versions installed on the same machine? I'd like to become familiar with 2 by using a copy of my main site but I want to make sure there are no issues before abandoning 1 altogether.

Thanks,
lee

Lee Potts
Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Yes, Just don't install in the same Directory I think.  I have it set up this way as my web site gets hosed when moved to V2.  Mainly because I'm not doing something that is strictly 'kosher' in HTML land.  I.E. I have a javascript function that I call that stuffs in the "<body...>" statement and other nonscence and V2 doesn't like this.  V1 had no problem.

Robbert de Groot

It works.  I think it confuses the "Edit with" Explorer bar function a little. I should say, having 2 verstions confuses me a little sometimes.

tk

And you might easily convert CD1 databases to CD2 by accident due to the load-on-startup feature - a single dialog with an ok button to prevent you doing this. I found it rather "dangerous" sometimes :-)

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Wednesday, November 05, 2003

It can be done, but can also give serious headache. Mainly because the two versions seems to share certain areas of the registry so that things you do in v2 are mirrored (without warning) in v1. Personally I returned to v1 long ago, because of too many oddities and bugs in v2. I'm hoping that v3 will be a more mature product.

Jorgen Brenting

You can create shortcuts that open the proper file in the proper program:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=8133

www.MarkTAW.com

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home