Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Blank Articles when copying content from MS Word

Because of the xml characters appended when someone copies directly from word into citydesk we have been having our user take the extra step of copying content created in word into notepad before copying it into citydesk. Is this a known bug that is being fixed (or has been fixed in 2.0)? Any help on how I can keep my sometimes forgetful users to be able to avoid this extra step?

Peter Bodenheimer
Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Why not just use citydesk to write the text?

Joel Goldstick

Because we work with an organization that gets press releases delivered to them that are created in word or word perfect. They could re-key everything, but that seems to defeat a large portion of the point of using a tool such as CityDesk.

Peter Bodenheimer

I don't think it's a bug but it is a pain. Alt-E-W pastes without all that formatting. But it may remove more than you want to keep - tables, bullets and boldfacing. The same sort of thing happens with Excel.

I wish there was a "paste while keeping basic HTML formatting (bold, italic, tables, bullets, indents) while removing at the MS style junk" option. Even if there was,  users would often forget to use that option.

If folks copy from Word, you never know what you are going to get. I generally hate it when folks send me stuff in Word, but I forgive them. It's what they are comfortable with.

tk

I see.  Didn't mean to be flip about using Word.  I feel like TK.  Its no fun to get word docs, but its more fun than not getting any docs!

You can save the word docs as html.  They are big with lots of MS bloat. 

I found this link to a Word template that does a lot of cleanup to Word docs.  Maybe this will work for you. 

http://www.songhaysystem.com/document.php?cmd=getDoc&get=2

Joel Goldstick

Thanks to all for the info, will try to build out a useful work around.

Peter Bodenheimer

Try:
* WordCleaner from http://www.wordcleaner.com
* the fckeditor interface at http://www.fredck.com/FCKeditor/

The difficulty with any tool of this type is removing all of and only the stuff you don't want.

David Walker

Joel Goldstick :re songhaysystem

I began to use "clean html" after you had brought that tool to out attention in another thread. For me it works very nicely  although there is some very minor tag adjustments to be made if one wants to be "compliant". Clean HTML  is *very* effective in removing "all" the MS OFFice tags -- and on my super fast 2.4 Ghz system with 1MB of ram takes approximately 3.5 minutes to do its work on a single MS Word page that loaded with stuff. Since its macro driven this tool is slow but effective. I like it.

David Mozer
Wednesday, November 05, 2003

david,

I only tried it on a trivial file, so I didn't notice the time it took.  That's interesting it takes so long.  But, I'm glad to know it works so well for you.

I've heard about, and dabbled a very little bit with html tidy.  I'm wondering if someone in that world hasn't written something that would also be an answer to the Word to HTML problems.  Any HTML Tidy pros out there among us?

Joel Goldstick

Joel,

I use a product called NoteTab Pro that includes Tidy html. I am buy no means an expert on the subject of NoteTab or  Tidy html... but when it comes to working with MS Word stuff I now prefer Clean HTML for a number of reasons.

BTW, I'll make the assumption that Tidy html is the same product as html tidy:

1.. pasting styled MS Word stuff into NoteTab immediately removes all the styling even before tidy is explicitly invoked.
2.. In NoteTab one then places html tags wherever they need to be after which tidy is invoked. Tidy then does its stuff cleaning up any errors etc. Tidy does work well in generating compliant code.

The reason I prefer to use Clean HTML is that anything styled in MS Word is properly converted into HTML  [so far :-)] ... and that is a great help in that my clients do not lose their styling effects.

David Mozer

HTML-Kit also has the Tidy function.

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

JackHammer
Sunday, November 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home