Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Site Hosting

Has anyone heard about the 3-year-free hosting promotion from 1and1.com? ( www.1and1.com ).

Has anyone had any experience with this company?  Specifically, any bad experiences.  Heck, let us know your good experiences, too!

My site is currently hosted by pair networks, but I'm considering switching to get the deal, which their site claims to be worth $1000 ($29/month for 36 months).

Happy hosting!
:)

George Illes
Friday, October 31, 2003

Seen the ads in various UK magazines...

Robert Cowham
Saturday, November 01, 2003

If your sites aren't mission critical go for it. Otherwise, how can a company remain in business providing free hosting? I know that I couldn't do it.

Even so, free hosting typically means as many sites on a server as possible and that translates to poorly running sites.

John Cesta

John Cesta

I'm skeptical of that "free hosting" offer.

You might also take a look at this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/tazk

Alex Chernavsky

The parent company,  United Internet had revenues of $348 Million in 2002 and has a market capitalization of  $1 Billion  according to their web site.  http://order.1and1.com/xml/static/Facts;jsessionid=55223188FE1EBA3443D2E5E43C4C36CD.TC62b?__frame=_top

They can probably afford to give away a bunch of hosting to crack the U.S. Market which is what they are doing according to netcraft.
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2003/10/09/11_internet_opens_in_the_us_with_3_year_free_shared_hosting_promotion.html

Ken McKinney

George Illes :re 1and1.com

Thanks for bringing this exceptional offer to our attention George. I plan on using it for some of my work.

David Mozer
Sunday, November 02, 2003

David,

I hope it works out for you.  If you're so inclined, pass along your experience to the rest of us regarding the transition from your current host to 1and1.

George

George Illes
Sunday, November 02, 2003

George Illes :re experience

I moved “one” of my sites over to 1&1 on Sunday.

Signing up was very straight forward. The contract [free for 3 years] is certainly lengthy and took me the better part of 2 hours to read properly. No traps of whatsoever nature that I could find -- which I appreciated ... a true free offer.

If anyone here is contemplating using this hosting site I strongly suggest that before proceeding you download all the help PDF files and read through them carefully to understand how stuff works … like FTP and e-mail. CityDesk’s FTP worked great. But 1&1 FTP process takes sometime to learn how to use and then place the proper parameters in CD .. by reading the help docs there is less pain.  I tend to plow ahead and then if I run into problems I attack the docs.

My bottom line is -- I highly recommend this hosting service -- they are for real. I am very satisfied with the outstanding performance. The only weak link is support via e-mail they are slow in responding to queries. To get phone support requires that you pay for it.

David Mozer
Tuesday, November 04, 2003

I'd rather pay $125 per year and have the peace of mind from knowing that a real, live human being will answer the phone (most of the time, anyway) when I call with a question or a problem.  I've used Web Serve Pro of Nashua, New Hampshire for about four years now.  I'm reasonably happy with their service.  They're not perfect, but they're much better than the other two hosting companies I've used in the past.

Alex Chernavsky
Tuesday, November 04, 2003

David,

Thanks for your comments on the transition. Very helpful!

George

George Illes
Wednesday, November 05, 2003

George :re Site Hosting with 1and1

If you're going to use 1and1 the help documents to get [after signing up] are:

1 .. EasySetupGuide.pdf [5.6 MB]
2 .. Web_Hosting_Manual.pdf [2.1 MB]

If you have a fast link it takes less than 1 min to download.
If you have a slow [dial-up] link its slooow. :-)

David Mozer
Wednesday, November 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home