Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Create new link - Very slow...

I am using CityDesk 2.0.19 and on a web site that includes 2,996 items. The process of opening up the dropdown box to select a "CityDesk article or file" is very, very slow - typically more than 10 seconds. I suspect that this is because CityDesk runs a query to update the list of available files to link to, however, I am finding this time lag to be very frustrating.

Can this performance be optimized at all, or is it simply a limitation caused by the underlying microsoft components?

Has anyone experienced this same limitation? Publishing, editing and all other functions seem to operate quickly and securely, and otherwise I am very impressed with CityDesk.

TIA for any comments.

JLS
Wednesday, October 22, 2003

The bigger the site, the slower the link selection things work. I usually put new stuff that I plan to link to as close to the top in the tree window so at least the links I'm looking for are a the top of the selection list.

I have another problem with the selection list: it's too narrow. I have very long file names.

FrontPage has a partial answer: When you add a link, it displays any open pages at the top.

Feature request:
So if CityDesk had another link selection scroller thing that listed open pages, that might speed things up: e.g. I'd do a search to find the page I want to link to, open that page, go the the page where I want to add a link, click the link button - the open page would be on top of the list.  I think that would help me a lot.

tk

When my sites get too big, I create the links by copying Magic Names from the site index window instead of using the drop-down box in the link dialog.

Just right-click on the article you want to link to, and select Copy Magic Name. Then in the article where you want to put the link, type the link text and highlight it, hit Ctrl-K to bring up the Link Dialog, and paste the Magic Name into the URL field (removing the "http://" that's already there).

Works like a charm.

Darren Collins

Good grief Darren what else have you been keeping to yourself?

tk

Great idea - thanks for sharing that tip.

JLS
Thursday, October 23, 2003

Hi TK! Yeah, I've been a bit quiet lately with lots going on offline. :-)

Darren Collins
Thursday, October 23, 2003

Maybe it would be worthwhile to have an add link function that allows the user to input a search string. It could a godsend for really large sites.

Or possibly an autocomplete function.... Maybe the index for this could be built in the background.

Robert Pawlak ( www.chessassistance.com )
Saturday, October 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home