Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

The logging s*ks

Hi there,

I had some problems publishing a site, everytime I did a preview of the site the *old* site came up. It took me a lot of time to find out why it didn't work, there was something wrong whith the read/write acces rights.

Now if the text in the log screen didn't go by so fast _or_ if you could scroll back a litlle I would be able to _read_ the error messages Citydesk puts on the screen. As it is now, I think it's really useless now (I've a bit calmed down now ;-))

So perhaps Joel can put this on the wish list as a highly appriciated new feature!

Thanks, <Menno>

Menno Tillema
Thursday, October 16, 2003

From memory (I don't have any errors in a CityDesk file right now) you can scroll back by putting your cursor in the logging field and using the up arrow. You can certainly cut-and-paste the message.
If the Foggers are listening ... I would like to know what the error codes mean.

David Walker

You cannot scroll back up to view previously logged messages.  The messages come too quick to read, the scrollbar is disabled, and the message area is blanked out with each new message.

David Burch

If you have access right problems, how did you publish the old site? Could it be the local cache of your site, did you try ctrl-refresh?

Ron Lane

There are two levels of logging... logging while constructing the site on your local hard drive, and the ftp reports.

The logging while creating a site is preserved. Those are things like CityScript syntax errors.

The logging of FTP actions is unfortunately not controlled by CityDesk, it comes from your FTP server. We don't know much about what messages they are blurting out to us so we simply display them verbatim. They vary from FTP server to FTP server and there are at least 60 common FTP servers each with their own unique idea of what messages to send. FTP server messages are meant to be read by humans, not programs, so they are hopelessly inconsistent.

It is sort-of a bug in CityDesk that it looks like we are clearing the FTP message buffer every once in a while. Here's what I mean by "sort-of" bug: (a) this is not the best behavior and we wish it didn't do that (b) due to circumstances beyond our control having to do with Microsoft FTP code, who else, fixing this bug would actually be surprisingly difficult. It would take me almost longer to explain than to just fix the bug so I'll sign off now :)

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, October 18, 2003

Joel :re FTP logs

Why? could you not simple capture the server output to a log file and have that captured file stored under \CityDesk\FTPlog

I think that most CD developers understand that the FTP server output is not generated by CD ... and from a developers perspective there is value in trapping for FTP output specifically where errors are concerned ... perhaps a toggle that enables error trapping to a log file stored as suggested is not that difficult to code – by default the toggle would be set to no logging  and turned on explicitly by those that need to trap for errors. I know that I for one would find it helpful. Developers then could have the error codes checked with their FTP administrator/documentation for the meaning and act according.

David Mozer
Saturday, October 18, 2003

I can understand that  the output of the FTP is not controlled by CityDesk. But, from a users view, the error messages _are_ captuered, and displayed in a CityDesk dialog, but you can not use them to debug, because the text scrolls too fast. It would help if there's a option to turn on logging to a textfile or a scrollable buffer. I hope tyou can do that instead of fixing Microsofts code.

I did try the logging option publishing from a command line, but this saves only the last message  of the FTP session (and believe me,  if there are errors I'm _not_ interested in the fact that  the goodbye command was processed without errors ;-))

Menno Tillema
Saturday, October 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home