Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Anyone designing templates?

Any page designers out there with some time on their hands to create some cool templates for distribution?

Patrick Breitenbach
Wednesday, December 12, 2001

I think this is the biggest deficiency in CityDesk - if more example templates were included out of the box to do "common" tasks, it would be even easier to set up a site, and people would have an example of how to use CityScript to accomplish various tasks.

The only other thing that's stopping me from recommending it to our company for Intranet use is the secruity model - basically if someone has access to the DB, they can change anything they want (AFAIK) -- even stuff that they didn't write.

Greg

Greg Mitchell

There is a big difference between a CityScript example and a template.

The template contains all the froofy HTML stuff that you can get from any site on the 'net.  View Source -> Copy -> New Template -> Paste.

Since any HTML page can be a "template", why include them?  If you have frontpage, just choose, File->New and then pick one of their MSFT templates and copy it into CityDesk.

On the other hand, providing CityScript examples for those templates is important, and we'll be sure to do that once the knowledge base is up...

Here's an easy one..

1) Create a New Site.
2) Change the contents of index.html to be
{$foreach 5 x in (folder "Articles")  SortDescBy .fileddate $}
{$x.teaser$}
{$next$}
3) Create New Articles in the "Articles" folder and you have a cheap-man's weblog.

Michael Pryor

CityDesk scripts is a great idea. Someone asked about templates (HTML-type) earlier and Joel and Co. made a good point that if they distribute templates with CityDesk, then everyone's Web site will look alike.

Everyone mentioned Tk's CityDesk Reference:

http://tk-jk.net/city/index.html

It has a list of CityDesk run Web sites, so you can see the different ways it is in use.

My two cents.

Meryl

Michael-
Thanks for providing CityScript examples...but I'm curious - why did you call it a "cheapman's" weblog?

Guy Bjerke

Because its super simple.  Just that script alone won't account for achives and all the other stuff you might want on your weblog.

Michael Pryor

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home