Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

javascript navigation

I am trying to include a dropdown javascript in a template but it doesn't seem to work.

is it impossible to do so in CityDesk?

frederique nimion
Friday, October 10, 2003

No, its not impossible to do.  I included lots of my wife's website at www.faraspence.com and it works just fine.

There are some tricks.  If you add the javascript, do NOT switch between normal and html view.  Stay in html view.  Switching will garble up the code.  This is a known issue I believe.  If this is a template, use an external editor to create/edit the template.  This works MUCH better, and I have more control over the html than I would in CityDesk.  I use Adobe GoLive, but others would work.

You cannot call an external editor for an article, so if you are including the javascript there, cut and paste between your editor and CityDesk.

hth,
Jeff

Jeff Kolker
Friday, October 10, 2003

Why not post the link to the page so that we can take a look?

Joel Goldstick
Friday, October 10, 2003

who me? :)

I typed my site address, but it didnt "link".  The page is at:
http://www.faraspence.com/

If you weren't asking me...then kindly disregard ;)

Jeff Kolker
Friday, October 10, 2003

I see you used a frameset, will rush and try that ;-)

frederique nimion
Saturday, October 11, 2003

Hope it works out for you.  Just remember that CityDesk normal view does not support frames.  I used my external editor for that one too.

Jeff Kolker
Saturday, October 11, 2003

Using frames or not is irrelevant for the javascript issue. Javascript works just fine, but be sure that the .js files are cityscript enabled and do not contain absolute references if not necessary. Use magic names.

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, October 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home