Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

UTF-8 problem with CityDesk 2.0.19

I've scoured the discussion group and tried everything mentioned.  I can see my page correctly in CityDesk's browser, but when I publish it, I get weird characters instead of normal punctuation.  I've inserted the meta charset=UTF-8 tag after the head tag in my template.  I've made sure my browser is set to auto-select encoding.

I've tried copy/pasting data a number of ways, and nothing works.  I can't always do plain text, since that would look awful. 

We are running an apache server that's charset default config is iso-8859-1, but I thought the meta tag would take care of that problem!

I've created the site with CityDesk 2.01p Build Date 20030825A.  The URL to see my damaged page is www.marist.net/test/Articles/test.html.

Maybe someone out there can give me a simple solution, because I'm losing my mind... :-)

Thanks.  Bonnie

Bonnie Littleton
Thursday, October 09, 2003

Bonnie :re weird characters instead of normal punctuation.

On my browser IE6 your site www.marist.net/test/Articles/test.html Looks very *nice* to me ... I do not see any weird characters. IMO you've done a great job with the design.

Now this following link http://www.marist.net/ does not look anywhere as nice as www.marist.net/test/Articles/test.html :-)

David Mozer

I don't know if this makes the difference or not but I noticed a "/" missing from the end of the UTF-8 statement.

The copyright symbol is awry at the bottom of the page for me, using ie6.

Ron Lane

We had a similiar issue with an Apache-based server of a client and the fault lay with the Apache configuration. Talk to your provider to resolve the issue.

Patrick

PS: You can try and publish to another server (you know works with UTF-8) for testing before contacting your provider, just to be sure.

Patrick Thomas
Friday, October 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home