Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

[feature request] Store site in filesystem instead

Okay, I'm pretty sure the feature I want is not in the "flavour" of CityDesk; so I won't be too upset if this post is treated more like a rant. But I'd be interested in the thoughts of others.

Firstly, CityDesk is all good. It's a great GUI (wysiwyg-ish), its got scripting, its got a big Publish button. These are the reasons I want to use CityDesk.

But (for reasons explained below) I don't want to store the whole "source" to my site in a single .cty file. I want each "file" in the .cty to be actually be a file in the filesystem.

I know that the .cty file is some sort of JET/MSAccess SQL database file, and so getting rid of the .cty would mean losing a whole lot of SQL goodness. And for that reason this feature request is not in the "flavour" of CityDesk.

One possible idea is for a feature that lets you export/import a .cty into the filesystem in a reliable, isomorphic way.

Now... the reason I want to store my site in the filesystem is that I'm a software developer, and that's just the way I'm used to doing things ;-) I'd like to be able to check the whole thing into CVS (into a version control system), and be able to tell what files changed when, and what the differences were.

Matt Quail
Monday, October 06, 2003

It's not going to happen.

I like the convenience of the single file. I version control the .CTY file for my site and I don't care to recall how many times this has saved my skin.  I can tell what's changed between versions because I discipline myself to make detailed check in comments. Not quite the same as being able to do a diff, I know but it's good enough for my purposes.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Forgot to say, there's nothing to stop you writing your own tool to print out the differences between two .CTY files in a meaningful way ;-)

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

I proposed something similar when they had issues with multi-user CityDesk. I said why not publish articles, templates, etc. as .xml files without any parsing, and then publishing a "citydesk.xml" style file that had the checksums of each.

A distant 3rd party could easily download any changes into their local copy of CityDesk the same way you publish today.

But, I don't think that's the way CityDesk is going to go.

Mark T A W .com

I would suggest setting up the print friendly feature. This way, each time you publish you get a text copy of your body text for each file in CD.

John

John Cesta

Like I have on my site?

.txt files don't wrap, so .html files with plain black on white formatting is really the best way, and you get this by publishing a template that has printer friendly templates.

Mark T A W .com
Thursday, October 09, 2003

CopyBoy 2.1 will include XML import and export capabilities for .cty files.

I do not yet have even a rough ETA for this version, though.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, October 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home