Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Open .cty with Access

I am so tempted to add about 200 articles to .cty in Access.  Doing it manually is just too tedious and error proning.

Is there a spec for the .cty file format I can follow? Or should I even consider modifying the contents in the file in other app?

Thanks.

S.C.
Monday, October 06, 2003

Have you looked at CopyBoy? Sorry, I don't have a link for it, but search for it here, you'll find it.

Mark T A W .com
Tuesday, October 07, 2003

There's no public spec, but it's not that hard to figure out. You can add stuff to the .cty directly, and if you get everything right it won't break CityDesk. You'll need to refresh in CityDesk to see the new content.

CopyBoy is over at http://www.larkware.com . It does work with the .cty directly, but you won't find it as fast as just entering stuff by hand in the database.

The fastest way to get everything right is probably to create the articles in CityDesk, and then open the .cty file in Access and fill in the details in tblArticles.

Mike Gunderloy
Wednesday, October 08, 2003

One big caveat I forgot to mention, though: while this approach will work for things like dates and headlines and teasers, it won't work for the article body, which is stored wrapped up in an OLE Object field. If you want to edit that, you'll need to write code instead of using the Access user interface.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, October 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home