Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

UI Issues

Again and again I run into the same issues when showing someone else how to use CD:

"I changed the name of the article, but when I publish it the article name is the same and if I go to the homepage, the link is broken."

Of course the user (1) renamed the article but not the headline, and then (2) just published that one article.

This action is perfectly intuitive - Change the article name and I change the name of the article (duh), publish the one Article with the new name and all links to it should change. Yet in CityDesk it completely breaks the site.

There are two issues here.

1. Changing the Article Name doesn't change the Headline.

2. Publishing 1 article doesn't automatically add or change it on the site. It seems like it would, and on a site that dynamically serves up content it would, but since CityDesk publishes a static version of the site, links in to a page can break easily.

IMHO the way to fix this, and this has been discussed before is to forever link the Article Name and the Headline, and have a seperate entry for filename, both in the file view mode (the explorer tree looking thing) and in the article itself as a new field.

Of course introducing this behaviour will upset any number of old user and introduce a new set of issues that I'm not thinking of, but I'm hoping you're looking at 3.0 with this in mind.

Mark T A W .com
Monday, October 06, 2003

Cant you do scripts based on the articlename instead of the headline?

I never use the articlename as headline so Im not hoping to be forced into that.

Fredrik
Monday, October 06, 2003

I hope for another change tho :)
shoing headline in the main tree-view in CD...like:
Articlename (Headline)

Fredrik
Monday, October 06, 2003

Oh, and while I'm doing whishes :)
I'd like if all fields had a "contains"-contition to script with.
like "keywordcontains".

Fredrik
Monday, October 06, 2003

I like the idea of "articlename - headline" in the main tree view, that would be of help too with the renaming problem as you would immediately see the difference.

Ron Lane
Monday, October 06, 2003

Yeah we're dealing with 3 seperate elements here, and there are certainly plusses to the way it's done. My point is, the Headline & Article Name seem to be forever attached to each other because, well, you name the Article and the Headline changes to it when you create the Article, why not every time after that? Also, once you create the Article the Article Name tends to always be the same as the Headline.... So you think they're one and the same.

A columned "Detailed View" could solve this. So could a flag "Always make Article Name = Headline and v.v." for the people who don't need to name each article - it really would be simpler for some to never have to think about this distinction, though to change a headline and break all links into your site (includin Google) would be no fun.

Also a column for the filename it will publish as and the magic name as well.

It seems to me that the way to "solve" this problem is to have the Article name auto-create the File Name and the Headline. Then tie the Article Name to the Headline and not the File Name.

While you lose the ability to generate a special Article Name that means something to you different from the Headline, it has the following benefits:

1. The association of the Article Name with Headline will be in place.

2. Changing the Article Name will, as expected, change the headline, but will not break any links.

3. Advanced users will still be able to edit the File Name.

Mark T A W .com
Tuesday, October 07, 2003

While I'm at it, I think the Teaser should be in the same tab as the body, probably above it... It just makes sense from a UI point of view. Maybe with the sidebar on the right.

Mark T A W .com

Hey. Sorry - I'm the other sort of user who uses headlines as headlines that are different to article names )-:

Dan

FWIW, I only use the headline field if the article title *must* be different from the name (e.g. for articles that must be named "index" etc.).

All scripts use the name if the headline field is blank...

Second Fredrik's suggestion, and enhance it at the same time:

ArticleName (Headline) (PublishName)

;-)

Vic

> ArticleName (Headline) (PublishName)

I like this idea too, a sort of Detailed View. I'm just disagreeing with the default behaviour - ArticleName changes the PublishName and not the Headline. It should probably be the other way around.

Mark T A W .com
Wednesday, October 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home