Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Preview in Word?

I want to set up my preview so that the entire site can be opened in Word.

I tried just setting up a preview option using Word as the chosen application. That produced a blank page.

Then I searched the archives and found a couple of references to doing it. But nothing that helped me to get this set up.

I'd like to preview the whole site in Word and then from Word generate a PDF version of the site.

So maybe rather than previewing in Word, I should publish to a Word document. Can a whole site be published as a single Word document?

Gary Wilson
Monday, October 06, 2003

Gary.

Word docs aren't websites, and v.v. you'd need to create 1 file in CityDesk that pulls in information from all the relevant articles, and open that in Word.

Web Sites are a collection of pages, Word docs are 1 page.

Mark T A W .com
Monday, October 06, 2003

Maybe I wasn't clear. I've got a site that's about 50 pages. It's divided into about 15 sections of 2 or 3 pages for each section. I want to generate a document that is all the pages from all the sections, combined into one document that can be opened in Word. I am not trying to do Web production in Word. I am trying to take the Web pages and turn them into a Word document.

Gary Wilson
Monday, October 06, 2003

I just added Word to my my "Preview with" menu. I put %1 in the parameters box. I am able to preview with Word.

Here is a lot more about the subject:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=5584&ixReplies=8

This is from Joel S.
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=999&ixReplies=2

tk
Monday, October 06, 2003

On my site I've added a "Show all documents" link for the benefit of the content manager.

It runs a template that loops over *all* articles and displays them on a single page (I'll switch that feature off for "production").

Presumably one could save this page from the browser and subsequently open it with Word.

Vic
Monday, October 06, 2003

Vic, exactly what I was thinking.

Mark T A W .com
Monday, October 06, 2003

Thanks. That opened the index page in Word, but not the rest of the document. Will have to work on that. In one of the pieces you pointed to it makes reference to changing the mime type to application/word. Is that a change that you make in CityDesk? I don't see anywhere for mime settings and there's no reference in the documentation to mime settings that I could find.

Gary Wilson
Monday, October 06, 2003

<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

The above is found in the head portion of this page.  If you change the text/html to application/msword in your template for your pages, you will produce word documents.  When you click on the page, up pops word with the document.

So, maybe you could create two sets of templates (audiences?) and just make the slight change to the head  as shown above.

Joel Goldstick
Monday, October 06, 2003

also, change file extention to .doc

Joel Goldstick
Monday, October 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home