Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Charset and webserver issue

I work on Windows XP, CD2.0, with 2 web servers (IIS and Apache). I haven't touched many of the defaults on any of these components. The CD template has the standard, content="text/html; charset=UTF-8". A double quote character in a page when previewed in the browser (IE6) looks fine. However when I view that page as served through Apache, I get a set of strange characters. Viewing the same page served by IIS is OK. I use accented characters (Spanish) and these are all messed up when served through Apache. Having tried a few searches on the web I find another charset; windows-1252. If I try to use this, the page with a double quote served through Apache looks fine but when previewed in the browser it is messed up. Can anyone explain how I can get the page in preview and the page served by Apache looking the same?

Richard B
Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Is codepage 850 any better?

I've no real experience of Apache but if this helps:

850 is the old DOS based codepage for Western European characters (or something like that I think) and I had a similar problem a couple of years ago migrating data in databases from DOS to Windows. The developers were using 1252 but I changed it to 850 - (it was for German data) - and everything finally worked ok.

Dan
Thursday, October 02, 2003

Software often behaves in mysterious ways... Yesterday big problems with the way characters were displayed. Today all the problems have vanished, as if spontaneiously, and my site looks fine. I haven't done anything to fix this, to my knowledge.
It is, however, something to do with CityDesk; I was looking at the way these characters were output in the html files from CD and they have changed.

Richard B
Thursday, October 02, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home